Sunday, March 16, 2008

Shh! They said "sex" in church!

Sunday, March 9 at the Forum had an open discussion on sex. I played the part of a person who enjoys his “freedoms” and the group was given the opportunity to refute the reasoning of my self-proclaimed Don Juan. Try doing research on sound reasoning to support pre-marital sex and you will find it to be a difficult task. Of course, many Christians would find such endeavors futile and would never engage in such a discussion. Such attitudes supply support for why the Church as a whole has failed to engage the culture and why young Christians would never talk openly about the topic in church. The discussion at the Forum was lively and enlightening. The reasoning in favor of pre-marital sex included:

The only way to become a good lover is through experience with multiple partners.

If you have sexual hang-ups or problems, these often will translate directly to the quality of your relationship.

Becoming good at sex gives you new tools to communicate with others. Sex gives you perspective and wisdom.

The sexual organs are like any other in the body. By using them you exercise them and keep them healthy.

Sexually active people are more emotionally mature. Sex is an avenue of personal growth.

Sexual experience gives you sexual confidence, which makes you an attractive mate for the dating pool.

Oral sex isn’t really sex and even Christian couples who date are free to explore.

The above “reasoning” was soundly refuted and the discussion was spirited with many participants giving words of wisdom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was not at this forum unfortunately. But for those who are thinking about premarital sex, I can say from experience that it's not worth it. I just realized what I'm about to share "on the air," but this topic is REALLY important to me. I had sex in high school to get revenge on my parents who didn't even know about it. But the only person who suffered for it was me. I still regret my actions to this day (10 years later, 8 1/2 years into married life). That special, intimate bond I could have shared with my husband alone has been tainted. Am I forgiven? Yes. Do I feel like it affects my marriage in a major way? No. But do I regret it? Yes. Who wants to live with regret for the rest of their lives? NOT ME!

Kevin said...

A,
Thank you for sharing your story. Your experience confirms the testimony of what others shared at the Forum. There is just not a lot of upside to premarital sex.