Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No Hype Zone

What is the worst product marketing idea you can think of? Now I am not an expert on marketing, but whoever suggested that bacon-flavored breath mints would be a hit should be fired.

Have you ever considered the way Christianity is often hyped? Watch the “Christian” TV shows and you get well-coiffed hosts who often sit in gilded chairs extolling the virtues of the good life. Listen to the testimonies and you hear the “victories” gained by an anonymous donor leaving a $1000 check in your mailbox or how seed faith produced healing. Our super-star, entertainment mentality bleeds into worship with what may be catastrophic results. Like American Idol, “You are going to Hollywood baby!”

Whenever I get on such a rant I take a chance at being seen as a sour and jealous person who rues that he cannot rise above his own mediocrity. I am telling my inner child to shut-up right now so here is what I think is the truth of the matter. I really don’t like the self-promotion often seen in Christianity. I don’t dream of being involved with any other endeavor other than what I am doing. I find myself saying more often lately, “I can’t believe I get to do what I love.” I work with people I not only love, but also like. I know the ride won’t last forever. I also know (boy do I know!) conflict is always a part of the equation.

So where is all of this leading? The Forum was largely born out of frustration with what others have experienced in church. The Forum is also an attempt to combine some of the best experiences we have encountered in a faith community. The Forum is primarily an attempt to exhibit essential biblical elements in worship. The Forum is not about packaging Christianity so that truth is obscured or even denied. The Forum is not an attempt to be cool, just authentic. The Forum is about connecting with folks who have felt disconnected from a faith community. We want our faith straightforward, real, honest, sincere, and free to express being awe-struck with God. We want to feel free to ask questions without feeling like we are speaking out of turn or that we don’t know the inside language. (Do you speak Christianeze? “Praise the Lord. Thank you Jesus. Yes Lord I see that hand.”)

We make no claims that we are better than others or everybody else has it wrong. God is doing great things with other sincere, truth seeking ministries in the community. Other ministries that may not be our cup of tea God uses in ways far beyond the Forum. Hey, the fact that God is using any of us is a miracle in itself.

A big thanks to all those who participated in the meetings at Kaldis Coffeehouse and dreamed about what could happen. (Kevin, Alisha, Don, Brannon, Jil, Janae, Stevie, and Marissa) Does it get any better than seeing a team of people coming together and create a kingdom work? The biggest thanks go out to the leadership team and members of Christ Community Church. Because of the freedom and support you give the Forum was born. It is my prayer that more people can experience what you display on a consistent basis as a part of CCC. As the Forum continues to evolve feel free to give us suggestions.

3 comments:

John Cremeans said...

Kevin - I think authenticity is cool! You are on to something here and God is obviously up to something with the Forum. Way to lead bro...and way to inspire your team. They are blessed to have you as their pastor. Keep dreaming big and dangerous dreams. You are going to love blogging...If I lived in Springfield I would be at the Forum!

Desert Night said...

Authenticity is rare, whether in Christian circles or elsewhere. Our society is so full of hype, to quote the great pirate Roberts, "Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something".

However, like the desert, which is where I live, in the midst of barrenness, nettles, and biting insects, when the raiin is so infrequent, it is even more refreshing when it comes. And when the heat of the day is so intense, the coolness of a desert night brings health and joy.

Likewise, when God came to be with us, in the midst of cruelty, religious legalism, and poverty, His light, the Dayspring, was as a living water, and we, like a deer panting in thirst, found him to be a drink that causes us to never thirst again.

May you at the Forum worship God "in Spirit and in Truth", and may your "no hype zone" be truly real, as He who is both our brother and our Lord, was totally real with everyone He encountered.

Although I live a very far way away, and cannot come to be part of your community, I hope I am not intruding by hanging out in your blog space.

Desert Night

Kevin said...

John,
Back at you. You have been a good friend. What other choice is there other than being authentic? The alternatives are not very attractive.
Desert Night,
Thank you for your comments. We hope to drink from that spring you speak about. The deer is desperate for a drink and it is that desperateness for His presence we need to embrace.